The driver that allegedly fell asleep and caused the death of seven people is under arrest and will have his mobile phone investigated.
10 Nov 2016 – The Telegraph
Detectives are also investigating complaints that the line was a “tragedy waiting to happen” after previous reports of speeding at the same corner where the two-car tram came off the rails.
The accident is said to have sparked the 11th safety investigation into Croydon Tramlink in as many years.
The driver, a 42-year-old man, from Beckenham, was released on bail, as Dane Chinnery, a 19-year-old Crystal Palace fan, was identified as one of the seven dead.
Friends described how the “friendly, genuine lad” had been travelling to work. Investigators said the tram was travelling at a “significantly higher speed than is permitted” and were initially probing whether the driver had fallen asleep.
British Transport Police said it was “too early” to comment on whether the driver was using his mobile phone.
A spokeswoman added: “I would imagine this would be one of many lines of inquiry.”
FirstGroup confirmed it was company policy for drivers to avoid having their mobile phones with them during operating hours.
More than 50 people were injured when the vehicle left the track during the morning rush hour in Croydon on Wednesday.
London mayor Sadiq Khan, who visited the crash scene on Wednesday, warned the death toll could rise. Three underwent surgery at St George’s Hospital, Tooting on Wednesday. Some 17 other patients have since been discharged from the hospital.